Starting School Courses
If you’re worried about how schools teach phonics, maths and how children learn to write this course is for you. We look at the Early Years Expectations for the end of Reception and work backwards looking at the key areas of learning in reading, writing, maths and physical development! This gives you a clear understanding of where your child is working at now and what you can do to support their learning over the summer.
Our play based activities and relaxed, friendly classes will mean you leave with a thorough understanding of whats expected of your child and how best to help them achieve during their first year of school. The classes provide games, activities and ideas which you can use whilst out and about over summer to help your child with early reading, writing and maths.
We also provide classes for parents who are interested in transition from reception to year one.
What we will cover on the course
- Phonics and the phonics programme in school
- How fine motor activities can support your child’s writing ability
- How to help your child with their written work at home
- How children learn to read, sound talking, segmenting and blending
- Early counting and number skills plus ways to support this through play at home
- Troubleshooting common issues and independence skills in school.
- Worries and concerns you have about your little one
Classes are run by myself Carolyn Whitehead qualified SENDCo and Early Years Specialist Teacher with over 11 years teaching experience in a local Liverpool primary